A situationship is a pseudo-relationship. A placebo masking itself as a formative relationship. It smells like a relationship, it sorta looks like a relationship, and it may even feel like one, but it’s not.
‘Situationship’ is a term which I have heard a lot about recently and have personally seen the issues and outcomes surrounding it. This is the reason I have decided to discuss it. Perhaps you have heard of the term situationship, or maybe you know someone in a situationship or maybe you are in one. You may have noticed that, especially at uni, there are people hooking up. But wait… it’s more than hooking up with each other. These individuals are meeting up, chilling together, cuddling and eating together. So basically, everything one does in a relationship but without any commitment or title.
Let’s get to some Situationship points:
- No commitment: You don’t need to see each other, text or call daily. There is no title fundamentally. Unless one person decides they want more and ends up getting in touch with you regularly.
- You both had the talk: “I’m not looking for anything serious.” But once again, the dreaded question might pop up, “what are we” from one person.
- You may even be spending weekends together… But the other person might be forming attachment because of the time spent together.
- If one person is more into the other one than the other one is to them then you could be in a situationship.
- One person might be keeping their options open in case someone they feel is right for them comes along.
Key points to keep in your mind:
- It is crucial to communicate beforehand about what you want so you are both on the same page. If the feelings are not mutual, and you know this person well enough to know that they are not looking for anything more, then you need to take action now before you cause any further damage to yourself.
- You need to remember that Intentions that aren’t acted upon are just ideas, and ideas without action are just thoughts.
- Never try to find love by having sex. It doesn’t work that way because if the act of sex isn’t done from a place of love, by both people, then you won’t find love in the process.
- Don’t expect too much.
The overall point is that it is not a sustainable relationship because somebody might catch feelings and end up miserable. You may beg to differ, as of course some people can have fun and enjoy each other’s company without turning it into a situationship. Situationships are not for everybody. There is no harm in having a good time as long as you are honest about what you want.